Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Same Chicken and Green Beans a different way


This past Monday things were pretty hectic at home. I needed to get my car inspected, we were coming off a jammed packed weekend, Nick was working late, and I had Lily to be put to bed. I just don't have a lot of time to put together any complicated dinners so I have to be creative with flavors and use simple ingredients. I like to do 30 minutes or less style cooking most of the time so you will get a lot of those types of recipes from me.
I had some more green beans left from last week I could cook and some chicken breast thawed out but I didn't want to do the same thing that I just did with chicken and green beans (See my earlier post about Lemon Pepper Garlic and White Wine Grilled Chicken and Green Beans with Olive Oil and Feta). This time I whipped up my Asian style marinade and did some Asian inspired green beans with red pepper and chow mein noodles. I hadn't even planned on doing this for dinner but I did a quick inventory of my kitchen in my head and this is what I came up with.
I just love this Asian style marinade. I came up with it for chicken wings but it works on chicken breast, pork, and veggies! I learned some sauces and spices that go into Thai and Asian cuisine from watching food network and some south beach recipes actually. I am a huge fan of the south beach diet cook books. Even if you are not strictly following the diet, you can always add one of those recipes into your everyday diet to eat healthy and fresh meals.
This meal is quick and healthy and really delicious...and of course you can add bacon to the green beans if you want.


Asian Style Marinade 

Tonight I thawed 3 organic chicken breasts. Make sure to let them sit in the marinade for at least 15 mins but they taste even better if you can wait an hour or more.

1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 T sesame oil
1 T fish sauce (optional but I really like it)
1/4 cup or more honey
1 t basil (fresh basil is even better)
1 T garlic (fresh or minced in a jar is best)
1 t ginger


mix together with a whisk to get the honey really well mixed in.
set aside 1/4 cup or more of the mixture to use later on veggie is you wish.
 Dunk chicken or pork in and let sit at least 15 mins.
Start up grill, oven, or pan and start cookin! baste meat with sauce 1 more time on both sides once you start cooking.


While the chicken is cooking you can cook up some tasty veggies-

Asian Style Green Beans and Red Pepper

Take a couple portions of green beans and sit them in your steamer.
Julienne half of a large red pepper.
Steam veggies.
Once the veggies are done, toss in the marinade you set aside.
Add some sesame seeds, sliced almonds, and chow mein noodles and enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment