Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Wienies and Beanies...

I just made the most random meal of my life! Nick was working late and yet again we needed to go to the grocery store. We seriously have very little food in the house to make a decent meal. I was tempted to just bake a plate of tatar tots and puts some franks red hot on them and call that dinner....and that is a pretty darn yum-may dinner but i am trying to lose this baby weight. I guess I can't just eat plates of tots and franks and red wine like I used to when I was 22. And yes that meal and a few glasses of red wine were a weekly staple for my roommate Liz and I. That, mac n cheese, couscous, and salmon (all with franks on it) was pretty much all we ate some weeks. Liz would just dump a can of chickpeas in a bowl and douse them with Italian dressing and lots of crushed black pepper and that was her dinner about 3 times a week. We had to make quick cheap dinners cause we were on a seriously slim budget, needed to save money for the wine (hello!), and had a date to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer every night until we watched the entire series start to finish. That was serious business. My evenings are very different now...

SO Nick and I are trying to save money now that we have a little one so I made this random meal in an attempt to avoid ordering take out. Like I said, we had very little to work with. I found a can of organic rice and beans, frozen peas, and cocktail wienies and thought; "OK...i guess". So I boil the peas just like normal but I heat up the rice and beans and add pieces of chopped up cocktail wienies. I also added a little season salt and butter because that rice and beans just needed a little flavor. Once everything was done, I just didn't feel like this dinner was complete. I open the fridge and find a few farm fresh eggs and instantly wish I just made breakfast for dinner but at this point it was too late for that. However, I could still use the eggs maybe.
So I thought eggs and sausage....there are little pork sausages in the rice and beans...and in England they eat beans with breakfast..and its the London Olympics right now... soooo sure why not. So I fried two eggs over easy and decided to top the beans and rice with a beautiful fried egg.
I plated the meal and just put the peas alone with some sea salt and a little butter, placed a nice spoon full of the rice, beanies, and wienies on the plate and topped it with the fried egg. Lastly I had a small tomato ripe from my garden. It was a really weird random meal but it actually tasted really good!!! When it was finished I felt like I was on an episode of chopped and I was actually really proud of what I put together.
Don't be afraid to get creative, try new things, and use items you never thought would work well together...you might just come up with your new favorite meal. Have fun in the kitchen and when in doubt add cheese and bacon and apparently egg!

No comments:

Post a Comment