Saturday, August 25, 2012

Connie's Kitchen: "Doing it for Connie!"


My Mother and Father always supported my dreams of being a singer/actor. They didn't always know how to give me advice or guide me to fullfill this dream but they were always my biggest fans. 

A lot of people in my life actually just have no clue what its like to be a professional singer or why anyone would ever want to get up on stage in front of people. Its takes a very special kind of person to pursue this type of career...and when I say "special", I mean crazy. This insane passion I have had to be part of the even more insane entertainment industry has taken me to some pretty weird and wild places along the way and my parents supported me and followed me on this journey through it all. They have seen me play princesses and zombies.  They have been there for starring roles like Spider Woman to the smallest chorus role. They have traveled to big opera houses in southwest VA and small black boxes in Adam's Morgan. Sometimes they loved a show and sometimes my Mom would take me aside and tell me "well you did ok but you hit a couple wonky notes in the middle." 

Performing in High School 

Sometimes she would scream for the actors in my shows like they were famous stars. She even chased one down the sidewalk in the middle of Washington DC with her arms in the air, yelling his character name. She just had to give him a hug.
Of all the shows my parents have been to, some of  most memorable for me would have to be some of the shows I did in Adam's Morgan with a company called Landless Theatre Company.
I actually didn't tell my Mom and Dad about the first show I did in Adam's Morgan. Debbie Does Dallas the Musical was one of the best experiences on stage I have ever had. To this day I ache to do that show again but for obvious reasons, I didn't give my folks all the details about that one. However, it was actually very very tame and I wish they had come to see it.
 My parents trekked out to Adam's Morgan finally when I did Walmartopia. I played a few small roles but more importantly, I choreographed this one. I was nervous for them to come so far and to a part of DC that is nothing like the shiny, open, family friendly area with all the museums and memorials. Adam's Morgan is an amazing part of DC. Its an artist's district. Its colorful, gritty, loud, full of culture and amazing food and most notably a huge bar scene. You might have to park down a dark, narrow street where rats cross your path and the smell of trash and fryer grease mingle so I was a little worried about them coming to this part of town.
My sweet amazing parents made the trip to see me perform there many times actually but the first time will stick with me forever. I made sure to give them directions and explain the parking situation. I made sure to describe exactly how to find the theatre and what the space was like and then I made sure to tell everyone in the show that my Mom would be in the audience. I actually always did this because my Mom could be really loud in the audience and she ALWAYS gave standing ovations even if she was the only one standing. Mostly though I told everyone because I always got everyone to agree that we were "doing it for Connie!". I LOVED having her in the audience and so did everyone else!
The lights go up and the band begins to play. The cast enters the stage and we dance and sing the opening number.
Walmartopia-photo by Amanda Williams

 In still moments I scan the audience looking for my Mom and Dad. I see my Mom sitting there about 3 rows up in the center. She is clutching her purse like someone could steal it at any moment and she has a strange look on her face, kind of like a scowl. I take the time to check on her during that whole first number, which was 8 minutes long. Her position and face did not change. I was terrified. I was sure she hated everything about the show and the theatre and the whole experience. I have never seen her like this in the audience.
I went back stage and told my cast mates; "guys, Connie hates it, I think she hates it!"
The next number comes on and in this one I am dressed up as a man with a suite and mustache and everything so I am really hoping she thinks that is funny. 

Walmartoptia-I am the blond in the middle


We enter and my Mom has not changed position but then we begin to sing and dance and I catch her smiling. Next she is laughing and her death grip on her purse has loosened. I was so relieved!
During the rest of the show she is smiling and seeming to have a great time. Whew!
From that point on my parents came to see every show I did with that company and actually asked to come see Evil Dead the Musical before I even told them I was cast in it. I had borrowed their car and left the cast recording in their CD player. My Mom called me after listening to it and was dying to see the show. I warned her that its about "zombies" and the audience gets sprayed with fake blood and its a little crazy but she still was dying to see it. Thankfully I got cast and she had a great time.

Evil Dead-photo by Amanda Williams

Over the years my parents must have seen almost 100 of performances and whenever they came I made sure the whole cast knew we were "Doing it for Connie!"
I am beginning rehearsals now for my next project. Night of the Living Dead the Musical is a show that is near and dear to my heart. It was written by my dear friends, Matt Conner and Stephen Gregory Smith, and it will be one of the most challenging shows I have ever been cast in.

 I so wish my Mom were here to see this one but even though she can't physically be sitting in the audience, she is always with me and I am always doing every performance for Connie.

So when rehearsals start for shows, time after work to eat a healthy dinner is very limited. Sometimes there just isn't time for dinner or you just have to grab something fast but I have learned to make meals in preparation for a rehearsal week and then I have left overs that I can heat up fast or even take with me to rehearsal. Night of the Living Dead started music rehearsals last Monday so I made a big crock pot of chicken cacciatore to last for a few days. This recipe is so very easy. You just throw it in the crock pot and forget about it for a while and then when its done you have the most tender tasty chicken and its super healthy.
I will be blogging about my experience with this current show and sharing recipes I make during the week so I hope you enjoy going on this ride with me. Night of the Living Dead opens Halloween weekend in Kensington Maryland-hope to see some of you there and I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe that my Mom taught me (I spice it up a little though in the recipe below). When you make it...Do it for Connie!

Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore

1 large onion, sliced
6 Chicken thighs-but I use breast meat too
6oz no-salt-added tomato paste
1/4 t of pepper (i use alot more)
1/2 t of garlic powder (i use probably 1 T and then also add 2 T of minced garlic)
1 t oregano
1 t basil
1/2 cup white wine
2 T red wine vin
1 can diced tomatoes (I used the Hunts with olive oil, oregano, and basil)
salt to taste-optional
sliced red and green bell pepper-optional


Place onion in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place chicken on top. Combine the rest of the ingredients and pour over top. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Once the cacciatore is done, you can eat it over rice or noodles if you like. I used low carb macaroni noodles and sprinkled some shredded Parmesan over the top.

1 comment: