Monday, August 13, 2012

Connie's Kitchen-Special Edition: Mom's Recipe Box

I am writing a special early Connie's Kitchen tonight because I finally got my hands on a very special item that belonged to her.

Shortly after we lost my Mom we started doing that whole process of going through her belongings. We didn't waste a lot of time doing this. I think my sister, Dad, and I did better keeping busy and just doing those things you have to do. We just did and went and arranged and organized and did what we had to do because we couldn't sit. When you sit too long you think too long and it felt better doing. So when you are going through a loved one's belongings there are always items that hold a special place in your heart like certain pieces of jewerly (my sister wears my Mom's anniversary band) or certain clothing items which my Mother had a ton of! We started slowly sorting through the many many MANY boxes of my Mom's shoes, the many many colored capris, tons of camis and cardigans, all her headbands and braclettes, and belts and hand bags. My Mom was a very stylish lady and always had on the perfect little outfit and accessories.  Somethings are enjoyable to see again and spark a happy memory and bring up a story that you share. Other items are harder to see and touch again like a hair brush or her glasses. Those things cut too close and they can't be given away but its also hard to keep them as well so they are boxed for later. I have a few very specials things that were my Mom's like the braclette and shoes she wore on my wedding day but a little jewel I just got my hands on might mean even more to me. That special item is my Mom's recipe box. My Mom wasn't in love with cooking like I am but she cooked us warm family dinners every night and amazing baked goods every holiday season and my love for cooking was sparked by her. She saved passed down recipes or things she learned from friends on index cards and scraps of paper and organized them in a box. It was originally this little brown plastic tupperware tub and I will always remember sorting through it every Christmas season when Mom was ready to bake and she asked; "What do we want to make?".

The plastic tub as graduated to a simple but pretty wooden box. Her recipes are still there with her wispy handwriting on each one, fading and crinkled and beautiful.
 I believe this is my prized possession and I will forever keep it safe and keep it just as it is. From time to time I will write a true Connie's Kitchen post and make something special from her box, from her kitchen. So stay tuned for recipes from the real Connie's Kitchen.

4 comments:

  1. This is truly a very Special Memory to keep VERY close to your heart, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me cry too, but what a wonder tribute to your Mom. She always made me laugh. Hope you share some of the recipes here. She would be so proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete