Sunday, August 5, 2012

Asian Cabbage Salad for my Boo Erin

So my Friend Erin is a veggie and has been reading the blog.....thanks Erin! Unfortunately for her, I am a major carnivore but she has enjoyed some of my side dishes. So just for her I am sharing one of my very favorite veggie main courses. This recipe is so quick and easy and so delicious that you will want to make it all the time. I was shocked how good it tasted the first time I made it because the thought of eating a plate of raw cabbage didn't sound that great to me. BUT I got hooked and so did Nick. We love this one. Its also so versatile that you can add extras to it like chicken, peppers, onion, chow mien noodles, and more. I guess you could add bacon too!
Another exciting thing about this recipe is it is super healthy. I believe I learned this one from a south beach cook book and by cooking this way I have lost another pound! yay! So far I am down about 28 lbs since I had Lily. Another.....18 to go to get to pre-pregnancy weight and another 20 after that to get to where I really should be so this is going to be a long journey. I have pretty much another 40 lbs I want to lose so you can see why I share lots of healthy recipes but like I have said, you can always jazz them up even more if you want a more indulgent version. While I am talking about weight I want to plug a great website/app called "My Fitness Pal". It has helped me lose my last 11 lbs in just a couple months. If you are on a weight lose journey like me- check it out! Its free and so easy. It is just a no brainer way to count cals, log in exercise, and get support from other "pals". If you have heard of the live strong site, its pretty much the same thing. The thing that makes this work so well is it's pure math....based on your height, weight, and lifestyle, it calculates how many cals you need to eat a day to lose the weight you want to lose. You log in everything you eat ( that part is super easy you can even snap a pic of the bar code on a food product and zip zip its logged in) and the app does the math for you. Huge fan-check it out-"My Fitness Pal".
So back to cabbage.....
I don't have any snap shots of this meal because I made it so fast and just ate it right away! I totally forgot to take pictures! However I have a another half of the head of cabbage if you really want to see pics....but I am sure you can just imagine it. I do have some fun pics of Lily though. Here is Lil playing with a burp cloth...

and here is one I am calling the poopy ballerina...

So Here is the recipe....


Asian Cabbage Salad
1/2 of 1 head of green cabbage
about 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
about 1 T of sesame oil
pinch of sea salt
sesame seeds

So take your head of cabbage and clean it up and chop it up. I julienned mine but you could chop it up how you like. Then in a small bowl mix up rice wine vin and sesame oil. Drizzle over cabbage and if you think that is too much or too little, you can adjust that. Use however much you want. If you don't taste enough sesame oil in the end, you can drizzle a tad more on. Think of that little mix like your salad dressing so use what you like. Then add a little sea salt and shake some sesame seeds over the salad and toss.
That's IT!
 This week I added that left over Asian chicken I made a few days ago, some chopped red pepper, and chow mien noodles. It was amazing! and now I am 1 lb smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment