Saturday, July 21, 2012

A new recipe during a long nap

So for my very first blog post ever I decided to come up with a new dish, which is kind of a twist on an old signature dish I used to make. I am not exactly sure yet what my blogging style will be so for this first post I am just going to share how I came up with this dish and what happened along the way. Also, as many of you know, I love adding cheese and bacon to my dishes. You are sure to get plenty of bacony goodness from this blog but I also am very passionate about low fat and low carb cooking so sometimes I plan to share two versions of a dish...the bacony fat fat version and the healthier version...so..here we go.....

Its a rainy gloomy Saturday and I am exhausted from a singing performance from the night before (Stephen Gregory Smith's fabulous cabaret at Signature Theatre) and also from taking care of my 4 month old little girl who isn't sleeping through the night yet. It's 11am and baby Lily just went down for a nap.
 I am sitting on my big white couch (kinda rethinking the white couch decision now but that is another story) watching the food network, like I always do, and starting to get hungry, like I always do. I was thinking how we really really need to go to the grocery store and was getting hungrier and hungrier as I watched Giada cook greek pizza. I was also thinking how I really really didn't want to go to the store yet so what could I put together in my crazy kitchen. We have a sweet potato, a value pack of chicken breast, some canned food, condiments, baby formula, and a few random frozen items like tots....not much to work with.
So I decide to do something with all that chicken in the slow cooker and it came to me... I used to make pulled whiskey pineapple turkey BBQ for parties (I will share that recipe later but its a bit of work and involves cooking a whole turkey--so worth it though). I don't have all the ingredients to do that but I do have tons of chicken, canned peaches, BBQ sauce, and left over chipotle peppers from when I made BBQ chipotle chicken salad the other day.
So I guess Pulled Peach Chipotle BBQ Chicken is on the menu for dinner!
I have precious little time to whip this up with a napping Lily in the other room so I grab up spices, sauce, the chicken, and get this thing going.


Here is what I came up with:

PULLED PEACH CHIPOTLE BBQ CHICKEN

5 large chicken breast
preheat oven at 325

Dry rub:
1 T of garlic powder
1/2 T of paprika
1/2 T of chili powder
1 t of adobo seasoning
1/2 t of black pepper
dash of salt
dash of cumin
mix

take large cookie sheet and line with foil.
spray foil with cooking spray
lay chicken on the foil in a circle, all touching with some space in the center.
rub all pieces with olive oil.
then sprinkle dry rub on each piece on both sides and rub in a little.
rub is a little salty so be careful not to over season.
next take a square of foil and form into a bowl and place in center of chicken circle.
pour white vinegar or apple cider vin into the foil bowl. fill half way or a little more.
fold up foil on cookie sheet around chicken and then cover over top with a sheet of foil.
do not wrap too tight so juices and vin can kinda help steam chicken a little.

slow cook chicken for an hour or more.

while chicken is cooking make BBQ sauce.
Sauce:

1 and a half cups BBQ sauce. I used Jack Daniels smokehouse brand.
1/2 cup peace preserves
1/2 cup chopped canned chipotle peppers with adobo sauce (i used peppers in a spicey sauce)
1/2 cup apple cider vin
1 and a half T of minced garlic-from jar or fresh
1/2 cup of canned peaches (strained)
1 T of dry rub mixture
1 T of dijon mustard.
cover and set in fridge while chicken cooks.


I was only going to cook the chicken for 1.5 hours but then Lily woke up screamin for a bottle and I got distracted. I ended up cooking the chicken for about 2 hours and it came out perfect! Super juicy and tender and pulling apart easily.

Make sure to save all those juices and the vinegar and now wait for the chicken to cool, then shred. You can pull apart with your fingers or you can take two forks and use those to shred-use a cutting board for this.
Then throw all of the chicken in the slow cooker on low. Add all that wonderful chicken broth from the cookie sheet and the vinegar from the foil bowl in the slow cooker too. Dump in all of the BBQ sauce, stir, and wait. I am probably going to let it sit in the slow cooker for 4 hours at least.




I haven't tried the final product yet so I guess I will post later and share how I think it turned out. I plan on making roasted lemon and molasses sweet potatoes to go with the chicken and will share that recipe too.

Hope you enjoy making this one too! If you attempt it, let me know if you make any changes that you think enhance the dish. I am sure it would be better with bacon....

btw Lily hates my blog already!

2 comments:

  1. Cannot believe you thought of all this while still not getting a full nights sleep

    ReplyDelete