Thursday, December 20, 2012

Powering Through Yoga and Being a Temporary Stay at Home Mom

I recently made a huge life changing decision to take a leave of absence from my job of 10 years to stay home with Lily for a little while. She has had some troubling stomach issues since she was born and then after a few concerning events at her daycare, I just decided I needed to be home with her. It was one of the hardest and scariest decisions I have ever made actually. On one hand I get to stay home with my sweet baby and protect her and teach her and give her all the one on one attention I was missing with her.


I can focus more on taking care of my home, making delicious dinners, running all those errands that fell to the wayside, and garden in the spring. On the other hand I have been working since I was 15 years old and juggling that with school and/or theatre and I am so used to being very busy that part of me worried about how I would handle all this home time. I also haven't even mentioned that I am not getting a paycheck anymore so that is scary as well.
 It has been a big adjustment. The first couple weeks it didn't feel real and I had a little anxiety in the evenings because I kept feeling like I needed to get ready for work the next day. It has been almost two months now I guess and I am settling into a little routine and I think I am finding a new kind of happiness. It is different and still a little scary but spending time with Lily and having a tidy home is really lovely. Lily is sleeping until 7am usually and after waking up at 5am or earlier for work for a long time, 7am is a dream! I have discovered that I love the Ellen show and really look forward to 3pm. I have taken many walks and now know which neighbors seem to have homes and yards to be proud of and which seem like they are secret hoarders. I cleaned my dishwasher and discovered that it was full of goo in the corners and that was super gross. I have developed a love for HG TV so between that and my gardening and cooking, I am feeling very Martha stewarty these day.  I also have added in workout time during Lily's first nap of the day and that has really made me feel like a new person.
I have realized that I can't just sit on the couch when she naps or while she plays. As long as I stay busy for the most part, then I feel useful and content. So I started with a yoga DVD I have had for years, then added some Teabo and Pilates. I recently stepped it up and added in a short Insanity workout. If you haven't heard of Insanity then just know that it is called Insanity for a reason. I literally had to take a break after the first two minutes of the workout. Nick was working on his computer and watched me struggle through this thing and we both laughed from time to time when I would just stop and say; "oh I am NOT doing that". I pushed through and made it to the end of the workout and actually felt great.  So I have kept at it and also added in a power yoga DVD. I have never done yoga like this because I am just a novice but I have begun balancing and twisting in crazy poses and I have been so proud of what I have been able to do. I know people who do yoga really advocate for how amazing it makes you feel and how great it is for stress and the benefits just go on and on and I am here to say, it's true. Since I started yoga again I feel great! It has been just a couple weeks but I see and feel my muscles toning, my energy level has increased, my state of mind is calm and centered, and my back is getting stronger everyday. I might have found yet another hobby and I am really excited about it.
I am on a brand new journey and so much has changed in the past 9 mos. There were moments in the beginning where I was so tired and exhausted and I wondered if I could handle this new life. I wondered if I could give up my selfish, fun loving, and at times a little immature ways. I knew I was ready for a baby and a life change but there is nothing in the world that can prepare you for what it is really like. Since losing my mother I look at the world very differently and it changed me in many ways. I grew up a lot in those weeks while she was sick. Even though I already thought I was responsible adult, I had further to go and I felt this new sense of responsibility to be the woman she wanted me to be and to help take care of my family. Now that Lily is in my life I have found an even deeper maturity and have grown so much more. I think I finally really feel like a grown up and that feels really funny to say that at 32. Its the hardest job I have ever had but the most fulfilling. I never ever thought I would be the stay at home Mom type, but maybe I am. Maybe I am good at this and maybe it is enough. There are always going to be tough days but then there are days like today where Lily is being so cuddly, my home is neat and tidy, I am finally seeing weight lose results, and I made an awesome kick ass dinner!
So tonight I made the best turkey burgers I have ever had so I really hope you like this one. Its another one of my Mom's magazine recipes but I do a few things my way of course.



French Onion Soup Turkey Burgers

1 Pound Ground Turkey (or beef)
1 Can Campbell's French Onion Soup
Sliced Swiss
Buns

Seasoning for Turkey Meat:
3 T Worcestershire sauce
several dashes garlic powder
2 T Italian dressing
several shakes of grated Parmesan cheese from one of those cans
salt and pepper
bread crumbs

Mix together all seasoning ingredients except bread crumbs. Add turkey meat and mix. Add in bread crumbs until the mixture thickens up a bit. Once you get the meat to the point where you think it will make some decent patties, then form meat into four equal patties.
Place burgers in a large skillet and brown on both sides. Once browned, remove burgers and set aside. Add 1 can of french onion soup to the skillet and bring to a boil. Stir often to get up any bits left in the skillet from the burgers. Once the soup reaches a boil, add the burgers back to the skillet. Reduce heat and cook on low, covered. Cook 5 more mins or until burgers are done. Add cheese to burgers and once melted, remove from skillet.


Place burgers on a nice toasted bun. Pour remaining soup into a bowl use for dipping.


We didn't add ketchup, mayo, or any condiments to the burger because it was so packed with flavor that it didn't need it. I also made some sweet potato fries on the side. I just peeled and chopped a sweet potato and cooked the fries in a cast iron skillet with very hot vegetable oil and seasoned with sea salt. They were a little soggy so I am going to do a little research and figure out how to make them crispier.

Enjoy! This is one of my favorites. 





No comments:

Post a Comment